When We First Met

When we first met,
I didn't know you held the stars in your hand.
I only knew the sky was large 
and the dam of my everything was bursting open. 

Our histories did not matter,
whether wars or crusades
or nights spent gathering food from the jungles.
I only knew your voice was music
and my soul had begun to dance.

I did not care who had come before us
nor consider whether another would visit 
as I departed,
but as time grew in our midst 
and our fledgling romance 
called for chaos to come to order 
I could sense the sky was shrinking

But you, you in your patience, 
You, in your contented silence 
never budged nor diminished in splendor.
And as age comes to collect its ransom
Your mischievous smile remains as resilient 
as our first night 
beneath the yawning New Mexico sky.


Comments