Slow Cooker

I'm learning that when we are overly focused on the product instead of the process, we often stifle the quality of our art.  Whenever I am more concerned about finishing a song or a piece of writing, I don't give myself the freedom to play and explore different options. 

A little advice for myself that perhaps you could benefit from as well.  Don't grow up too fast.  Take time to play.  Don't commit too soon.  Forget about the end results.  the well won't dry up.

I have a song structure I've been playing with this week.  It started on the banjo, made its way to the piano and was introduced to the dulcimer just this morning.  I've decided not to get too excited about it and share the idea prematurely.  I have often stumbled in this in the past. 

Sometimes sharing an unfinished piece of work may give the encouragement or perspective needed to take it further, but more often times than not, I've found it doesn't warrant a helpful response until the piece is able to stand on its own. 

Let it rest in the slow cooker.  Intentionally meditate on a piece and think through different options. Even if you've found some you like.  Don't settle too quickly.  See what the piece might become without the pressure of finishing it. 

Comments

  1. I can appreciate this. It is really tempting to add something you know is catchy or hooky to a piece / song just to get it out of the cooker and be finished and move on. The hardest part is really waiting for the words. it seems like once you have a piece of music that you are excited about the lyrics just crawl...or vise versa. i read this and it was a strong reminder to enjoy the process. I am trying to put together my first record, and I always think artists who have a catalog have it made, cause they have gone through all facets of creativity in a recording environment. THey can lean on old standbys, take their time, or just form a super group 8) to spark interest and creativity...Then I see how John Mark tweets about writers block and how he cant even write a song sometimes. He never gives a reason, I can only think that he feels they have all been written. I think you can drown in agony no matter what your situation is if you loose site of the fact that they are God's songs and he is pushing his people creatively in a refining process. Not saying JM does this, I just bring him up as he is someone I respect and am always shocked when I hear that other writters have the same issues as us little folk...ramble ramble, enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment